Diabetes, characterized by high blood sugar, is a serious health condition that can lead to complications such as cardiovascular disease, kidney damage, nerve damage, eye damage, hearing impairment and skin conditions.
The condition has no cure and the aim of therapy is to properly manage the condition so it goes into remission.
Diabetes is said to go into remission when the body doesn't show any signs of diabetes, although the disease is still present. Diabetes remission can be achieved with therapy or changes to exercise routine and diet.
One of the best ways to control diabetes is through diet and it is important that diabetics be mindful of what they eat. Below are some of the best foods that can help control diabetes:
• Fatty Fish: Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines and herrings are rich in omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA which contribute to the well-being of the heart. Diabetes patients need to eat food rich in these fatty acids because they have a very high risk of having cardiovascular problems such as stroke.
• Leafy Green Vegetables: Vegetables such as spinach and kale are rich in nutrients, have low calorie and digestible carbs content.
Also, vegetables are rich in antioxidants which protects the eye from damage. Remember eye damage is one of the complications of diabetes. Leafy green vegetables help protect the eyes.
• Eggs: Eating whole eggs is very beneficial for diabetes patients. Eggs reduce the risk of heart diseases and protect the eye from damage as they also contain antioxidants. Also, eggs also help maintain normal blood sugar level.
• Nuts: Diabetes patients should include nuts of cashew, almond as well as walnuts and hazelnuts in their diet. The biggest benefit of these nuts is that they contain low-digestible carbs, which means they won't increase the blood sugar level.
Nuts also reduce insulin levels in the body. High level of insulin has been linked to increased risk of some health complication in diabetics.
• Extra-Virgin Olive Oil: This oil protects the heart from damage and reduces the risk of heart diseases. It also contains antioxidants which protect against eye damage. They also reduce inflammation and decrease blood pressure.
Other beneficial food items
• Chia seeds
• Greek Yoghurt
• Apple Cidar Vinegar
Diabetes increases the risk of developing several serious health conditions. Therefore, the disease cannot be left unchecked. It's important to control diabetes and these food items mentioned above will reduce the risk of diabetics having any serious health complication.